Quarantine phase 2 = making home made bread
Quarantine phase 3 = what else can we make with flour, water and yeast?
Dinner tonight was calzone and we were pleasantly surprised how quick, easy and versatile this recipe is! Ben is definitely the baking master so he took the reins on this one. We used our ninja blender ( with the dough hook attachment) to mix the dough, but you could always use a stand mixer.
What's the difference between a panzerotti and a calzone?
- The difference between a calzone and a panzerotti is a panzerotti is deep fried and a calzone is baked.
This was enough for Ben and I to have 2 decently sized panzerottis each. You may have to double or tripe the recipe if you have more mouths to feed or if you want leftovers for breakfast the next day.
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- .25oz of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- Italian seasoning, basil or oregano
- Whatever toppings you would put on your pizza you can put inside your panzerotti! Ben put cheese, scallions, mushrooms and pepperoni in his. I put Cheese, mushrooms and scallions on mine.
- Pizza sauce, Marinara sauce or pasta sauce (we used Classico basil pasta sauce)
Let's get cooking!
Make your dough
- With the mixer on low, start by adding all of the dry ingredients
- Slowly add the water until the dough starts to thicken
- Continue to add small amounts of water until the dough is the right texture
- Once your dough is the right texture, break into 4
- Roll into balls and roll them out using a rolling pin
Add your toppings
While you are cutting your veggies, pre heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut your toppings into small pieces and add them to one half of the dough
- Fold the dough over and begin to crimp the edges so it steams from the inside
- Top with dried basil, Italian seasoning or oregano
- Cut 3-4 small slits on the top and place on baking sheet
- Bake on 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until dough is crispy
Cut and serve
When you're calzones are done baking, cut in half and serve with marinara sauce or pasta sauce. If you have fresh basil, finely chop and add to your marinara sauce to give it a little bit of extra flavour.